Eco-savvy business is environmentally-sustainable business – business that operates in ways that, at best, benefit the environment and, at least, do minimal harm to it. Sutherland Shire Environment Centre supports and encourages eco-savvy businesses by sponsoring the ‘Sustainability Award’ in the Sutherland Shire Local Business Awards.
Why do we need eco-savvy businesses?
- This planet is the only one we have! It’s not in anyone’s best interest to put in place business practices or sell products that damage it.
- Products and services that are healthy for the planet are healthy for consumers. There’s always a market for healthy products and services and that market is growing.
- Eco-savvy businesses draw on products that are sustainable rather than those that are dwindling (coal and oil) and that will increase in price as they become scarcer.
Eco-savvy business is the direction of the future.
Please note that applications must be submitted by 5pm on Thursday 13th August, 2020. Email your application to email@example.com or post to Sutherland Shire Sustainability Award – Sutherland Shire Environment Centre, PO Box 589, Sutherland NSW 1499
2019 Sustainability Award
We’re so pleased to introduce you to the winners of the 2019 Sustainability Award, sponsored by Sutherland Shire Environment Centre in the Local Business Awards.
We’d like to thank all our entrants. We had some superlative entries from some superlative businesses and it was hard to choose our winners. But here they are –
Bella Cibo – Winner
This gourmet Italian Restaurant provides takeaway and home delivery service.
They say, ‘our goal is not just to get as close as possible to a zero waste business, but to also create long-term sustainable business practices that can show other businesses that you can reduce costs, and become more profitable by adopting practices that don’t harm our future generations.’
Just a few of the great environmentally friendly practices that the business has adopted are these:
* using ONLY 100% plastic-free, compostable packaging – straws, stickers, coffee cups, food boxes, pasta containers etc
* recycling: cardboard, cooking oils, tins, bottles
* providing a discount for customer who bring their own containers and / or coffee cups
* sending food scraps for commercial composting
* sourcing local, environmentally sustainable produce
* using less harmful cleaning products.
* using palm-oil free produce
‘Together we can all work towards sustainable small business and a more sustainable future,’ the owners say.
Congratulations, Bella Cibo! You’re a great example to cafes and restaurants everywhere!
Address: 1/7-9 White St, Jannali and 8/27 Mansfield Ave, Caringbah;
The Point Preschool – Highly Commended
Director of the preschool, Catherine Lee told us, ‘We are so honoured to receive the Highly Commended Environmental Sustainability Award. We have been established since 1956 as a very small not for profit , community-based preschool and this award belongs to all the children, families, teachers and educators, staff of The Point Preschool and wonderful community who continue to support us. Our children are our most precious gifts and we will continue to strive to make the world more beautiful for them.’
This outstanding childcare centre has implemented so many wonderful environmentally sustainable practices that it’s impossible to list them all here. But here are a few of their great initiatives:
* installed water tanks and take steps to minimise use of water
* established a vegetable, bush tucker and herb garden
* take children on regular nature walks
* purchase products from fair trade
* use natural, chemical-free products, including cleaners
* provide natural materials for play
* recycle and purchase recycled products
* compost food
* avoid use of disposable plates, cups and cutlery
* collect and recycle fluorescent globes
* reduce the use of plastics
* minimise use of electricity
* participate in tree planting, bush care and clean-up activities.
‘We believe a sense of wonder, belonging to and love of the natural environment, living things and animals is critical for young children to develop lifelong respectful, positive and proactive attitudes towards protecting our environment, caring for all living creatures and creating a sustainable environment,’ the Preschool says.
The preschool is clearly succeeding in its goal to encourage a love of the environment in the children who attend. This is what 5-year-old Delilah told us:
‘We are just trying to make the world beautiful for everyone. That’s caring for country and this is Dharawal Country. We care for each other too.’
Address: 89R Greenpoint Road, Oyster Bay NSW 2225;
Our 2018 winner was Mr Paisleys Cafe ….. Click here for more information.
- Second Annual Plastic Free July Clean up with Sea Shepherd 2019
- Join SO SHIRE at SHIRE SHRED to CLEAN UP WANDA Beach Sunday 19th May 2019
- Clean up Australia Day Towra Point – 3rd of March 2019
- Some suppliers of environmentally-friendly products and packaging
- Congratulations Loaf Sandwiches – finalist – Sutherland Shire Environment Centre’s 2018 Sustainability Award
- Congratulations Arete Organics – finalist – Sutherland Shire Environment Centre’s 2018 Sustainability Award
- Congratulations Honua Drink – finalist – Sutherland Shire Environment Centre’s 2018 Sustainability Award
- Highly-commended – Sutherland Shire Environment Centre’s 2018 Sustainability Award – Cheeky Wipes Australia
- Winner – Sutherland Shire Environment Centre’s inaugural Sustainability Award 2018 – Mr Paisleys Cafe
- Eco-savvy business – is that you?