SSEC logo Kurnell - Birthplace of Modern Australia  
home| origins| occupation| landing place| squatters, campers| towra point| early enterprises| industries| services| the village  
• Tourism
• Camping
• Cliff Dwellers
• The Reserve
• Cricket
• Field Studies Centre

Squatters and Campers


In 1909 the Sydney Immigration and Tourist Bureau published a booklet stating that the Trustees of the Reserve (the Lands Department) had recently constructed a new up-to-date boat jetty and had cut a new walk, at considerable expense, through the thick natural growth, round the seafront from Inscription Point and circling back to the neighbourhood of the Trustees Cottage. They installed swings for the children, summerhouses, shelter-sheds, and other facilities for picnicking and camping parties amongst the groves of banksias.  First-class accommodation for approved visitors was available at the Trustees Cottage at 8 shillings a day. On Sundays and on all public holidays the excursion steamers left from Brighton, Sans Souci, Botany Pier, and La Perouse.
Holt's obelisk and the Reserve wharf constructed by the Trustees of the Reserve in 1902. Caroline Davis
top of page