Do you shop at eco-savvy businesses?
Eco-savvy business is environmentally-sustainable business – business that operates in ways that, at best, benefit the environment and, at least, do minimal harm to it.
Why do we need eco-savvy businesses?
- This planet is the only one we have! It’s not in anyone’s best interest to put in place business practices or sell products that damage it.
- Products and services that are healthy for the planet are healthy for consumers. There’s always a market for healthy products and services and that market is growing.
- Eco-savvy businesses draw on products that are sustainable rather than those that are dwindling (coal and oil) and that will increase in price as they become scarcer.
Eco-savvy business is the direction of the future.
Whether you’re a business owner, manager or customer, you can help foster the growth of eco-savvy businesses. Let’s work together to put the ECO into the ECOnomy.
Here are some ideas. You’ll see suppliers of environmentally-friendly packaging below.
- Choose packaging that can be easily recycled by customers (paper, cardboard, glass, aluminium).
- Find alternatives to plastic bags (paper bags, reusable bags from recyclable materials, boxes).
- Provide reusable crockery and cutlery in the kitchen, rather than single-use disposables.
- Print on both sides of the paper.
- Use cardboard stationery/folders/trays rather than plastic ones.
- Use take-away cutlery made from bamboo rather than plastic.
- Use paper straws rather than plastic ones.
- Sell takeaway drinks in reusable cups or glass.
- Don’t sell products packaged in foam.
- Recycle your own waste.
- Buy recycled products (eg paper).
We invite you to let us know about the eco-savvy activities of your business on our Facebook page.
Some suppliers of environmentally-friendly products and packaging
Here are some examples of manufacturers who provide environmentally-friendly packaging and cleaning products. We’re sure you’ll find more.
- Nature Flex ‘Plastic’ bags made of plant fibre rather than petrochemicals, 100% compostable – available from Clearpack Australia PL, https://www.clearpack.com.au/product-category/packaging/natureflex-bags/
- Environmentally-friendly food packaging, available from
- Environmentally-friendly cleaning products available from Envirocare, https://www.envirocareearth.com.au/collections/enviro-clean
- Reusable cups, straws and other waste-saving products are available from the War on Waste stall at the Shire Farmers Market in Sutherland, https://b-m.facebook.com/WarOnWasteSutherlandShire/
- Reusable shopping bags made from recycled PET available from ONYA: https://www.onyalife.com/product/reusable-produce-bag-8pack/
Download an entry form for the Sustainability Award now.